You may already have gathered all of the paperwork you need for closing day, but there are a few other tasks to handle before you get to the closing table.
- Clean the entire house, including inside drawers and cabinets.
- Close utility accounts and have them shut off on the day of closing.
- Place all keys (house, mailbox, pool, etc.), garage remotes, alarm and gate codes, etc. in one place, such as a drawer closest to the refrigerator.
- Create a packet of appliance manuals, service contracts, warranties, etc. and place them in the same drawer.
- Visit usps.com/manage/forward.htm to direct the post office to forward your mail. Also, consider leaving a large, stamped envelope that’s addressed to your new home so the buyers can forward any important mail that ends up at your former home.
- Cancel newspaper subscriptions, if you have any.
- Do a final sweep of every drawer, cabinet and surface to make sure haven’t left anything behind.
- Lock up the house, turn off the lights and close the blinds on the way out.
- Make a note to cancel homeowner’s insurance after the closing is complete and the title has been transferred or the deed recorded.